Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

It's A Lalaloopsy Party!


 So last week we had a very special birthday party! 
Gigi turned 6!! 
She had asked to have a birthday party like her brother and sister, but instead daddy
and I decided she would have a few friends over.  Very low key. 
Except mommy was in charge, and I am always the hostess with the mostest. 
We started with who she was going to invite and couldn't narrow down the guest list of the 5 girls she wanted to invite.  So after asking daddy if it would be okay, we had 5 on the guest list. 
More than a "few". 
Then I let my little girl pick the theme of her birthday party. 
In the wave of Christmas gifts, her newest infatuation has been her little Lalaloopsy dolls, so Lalaloopsy it was. I can't tell you how many times I have explained what a Lalaloopsy is to daddy.
It is little dolls with a sewing theme.  (mommy is loving this!)
They have button eyes, and each doll comes with a little pet. 
For weeks she has been carrying around her Lalaloopsy dolls in her pockets to school, to church, and all the way to Ohio and back. 
I patted my girl on the back for an awesome theme for her party, and ran away with it. 
I kept in mind daddy said low-key and wasn't going to spend alot of money because we had just had Rosie and Bubba's birthday parties two months prior. 
So I tried to do it cheap and fun.  
Poor birthday girl, on her actually birthday Wednesday, she fell ill.
As I was walking into school with her birthday treats for her class, the school nurse calls my cell and tells me she has bad news.  She proceeds to tell me that Gigi had just gotten sick and was in her office throwing up.  I tell her I am outside and will be right in.  10 seconds later I am in the office and the nurse gives me the award for the quickest response time to a sick child. 
I sadly drop off the treats for the rest of the class with no cute picture of her handing out the treats, or picture of the birthday girl with her teacher, and I gather up my sick birthday girl and head home. 
 
I am pretty sure it was something in the school lunch that made her sick because the girl didn't have the flu.  She was perfectly fine when we walked in the door at home. 
Yes, she milked it and she got 7-up on the couch bundled up in blankets and the bucket right by her. 
But not even 15 minutes home she was asking for cookies and milk.  
So since her birthday was a bummer in the birthday extravaganza department, I wanted to make her birthday party extra special.  She was finally allowed to wear her Lalaloopsy dress I made on Saturday for her party.  As soon as she put it on she was full of
energy and bubbling with excitement. 
(my first attempt at making long sleeves on a dress and using elastic thread for the gathering)
I was taking pictures and she was giving me pose after pose, a complete natural in the spotlight.
{this girl has lots of sass!} 
{Gigi and her brother}
I had thrown together a few inexpensive decorations for the party.  I mean really cheap!!
I took some empty Starbucks frappucino bottles and made cute bottles decorated with black vinyl, ribbon, and buttons to hold princess wands and straws.  I cut cardboard circles out of an old diaper box and painted them with spray paint to make buttons to decorate the mantle and dining room. 
I had purchased a garland from target and crea paper to add a touch of "festive" to the room.
{Lalaloopsy decorations}
The parting gifts were bags of Hershey kisses and magic wands. 
Oh, and I put wraps on the water bottles to make them Lalaloopsy waters. 
(creative way to make the girls WANT to drink water!)
For all the decorations I cut up the packaging from the Lalaloopsy stuff she got from us, her aunts, and Mama Judy.  So we had Lalalopsy Everywhere!!
As a craft to keep the kindergartners busy, the girls and I had
hand painted wooden beads and we made necklaces and bracelets. 
Gigi got to practice on her sick day at home and helped me make sure logistically it was
going to work. 
She doesn't look very sick does she?
On the day of the party, the girls had a blast picking out each of their beads and stringing them on their necklaces and bracelets.  Another cute souvenir to take home. 
I didn't purchase a cake for the party. 
I made Gigi's little Lalaloopsy cake and then for all the girls we made
strawberry cupcakes with pink sprinkles. 
They were a hit!!  
{Make a wish}
{Goof Ball}
{Gigi and her friend Olivia} 
For 6 kindergartners we had to be creative to find things that were cheap and would keep them busy while they were here.  We had the bracelets/necklaces which took about 20 minutes, then we had some lalaloopsy coloring pages followed by snacks and cake and ice cream, but how to fill the other hour?  We played dress up relay. 
I had pulled out 3 pairs of heels, 3 scarves, and 3 oversized hats for them to dress quickly and then run around our house to the finish line.  It was a riot and I am impressed how well some of the girls walk in my heels.  They put me to shame.   
I know Daddy was watching the clock wondering when all the squealing was gonna stop, but I thought the time flew.  Before I knew it the parents were knocking on the door.  I had just 5 minutes to quickly pick up all the balloon remnants and crea paper that was thrown all over.  It looked like a disaster area. 
 I think this girl had a successful Party!! 
She can't wait for next year.  LOL 
 It was sew much fun!!!!
 


4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Gigi!! I can't believe she is 6!!

    I need to borrow your kids for some practice at photography since they LOVE the camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime Angie!! Both Gigi and Bubba love the spotlight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun. Love her dress! Good job mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a few years I will hire you to help with our birthday parties!!!

    ReplyDelete