Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Feeling Lucky

It's so sad that the weekend is over. 
Daddy's left for work.
The kids have left for school.
It's now just me and Lil Miss hanging out doing our thing on this Monday morning.
So, I am reliving my weekend in a blog post.  My favorite thing to do!
 
If you didn't know, Nate and I got away to Chicago for two nights in a row this St Patty's Day weekend with our friends Kara and Scott.  Thanks to our awesome babysitter who masterfully watched the kids back in October and handled it with awesomeness, we were able to leave for two nights this time and feel perfectly content that the kids were being well taken care of.  
Seriously a shoutout to Annie, you rock!!!
Getting texts if it was okay to bring St Patty's Day cards and cupcakes to our neighbors is purely amazing. 
They had lots of fun!
 
Yes, we knew it was St Patty's weekend in Chicago when we booked the trip.  That's why we picked this weekend.  Before kids, we partied in Chicago for 4 years in a row on this particlar weekend. 
But then we had kids and things changed. 
So this was our first time back in Chicago on the weekend of green beer and the green river since having 4 children.
We could tell we were much older and wiser this time around. 
The drinking started much later and was much more controlled than in years past.  
We stayed outside the city and took the train in.   
These two boys were ready for some beer!
{his and her beers -- first ones for the day!}
We had no plans or expectations, which was nice, and enjoyed our day away from anyone
asking for "mommy!".   I missed the kids alot, but texting and facebook kept me abreast of what they were doing and I talked about them alot.  I like the look I get when I tell people I have 4 children. 
There is usually a look of shock on their face, but then I say I only gave birth once. 
(I love when they look confused!)
It's a great conversation starter.  LOL
{Kara and Me}
{The Infamous Green Beer}
You can't go to Chicago and not have their deep dish pizza. 
It was delicious!!!
I apparently took a hiatus from my diet this weekend.  Today it is back to grilled chicken and salads.
I told myself all the walking in the city wore off those bazillion calories from the pizza.
I was fooling myself.
 
When we got to Harry Carey's and were enjoying live music and beer, I checked facebook and discovered that Nate's cousin was in Chicago too.  I quickly texted her and found out they were downstairs in the same bar.  Small World! 
 {Nicky, Jen, Ben, Nate and I -- ignore guys photobombing us}
It was at this bar we added a little spontaneity into our trip.
Some guys (Michigan fans) approached Jen and Ben with tickets to Sunday's championship game, Ohio State vs. Wisconsin.
Now this is where all the stars align. 
We are avid Buckeye fans and Kara and Scott just happen to be Badger fans. 
Planets align, stars collide... BOOM.
The boys had tickets to the Big Ten Championship game, a rental car to get home, big smiles on their faces, and two wives who were awesome for letting it all happen.
Yesterday morning, Kara and I headed back to our kids to be the responsible parents and the boys headed back into the city to the United Center. 
It wasn't possible for both of us to go because of the kids, so I am glad Nate got to enjoy it and have some fun.  He will remember this when I want do something this spectacular though!  LOL 
The kids and I watched the game from our couch, well most of us did, the girls were off playing barbies.  Bubba after half time was glued to the TV watching the score ever so closely.
It was a nail biter of a game and the kids had their fingers and toes crossed that the buckeyes would come out on top.  And they did!
Big Ten Champs!!
The boys had great seats and I am pretty sure they enjoyed their time. 
It was a great weekend with friends.
Now back to reality and the real world.




1 comment: