Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

I did it!!

I just can't believe it I finished a 1/2 marathon.  I never in my wildest dreams thought I would say that unless I was being chased by a grizzly.  Even after training for 4 months I was skeptical, at the 4 mile marker I had an inner conversation with myself about abandoning the plan to finish the 1/2 marathon and just go in the 1/4 marathon path.  But I stuck with it and crossed the finish line smiling even!  Thanks to my brother Kurt, who ran the whole thing with me, and my sister Beth, who pushed me everyday to train.  You are not prepared though for the feeling of utter exhaustion at the finish line though.  I ran the whole 13.1 miles feeling pretty good without too much pain.  As soon as I stopped to get a water in the recovery area my legs turned to jello.  I was able to walk out of the area but man did my body punish me the next two days for running.  By Monday Night, I was feeling back to my normal self. 
 Nate and the kids made it down to the race and got to see me finish.  As soon as I saw them in the crowd I cried.  I hope they are proud of what their mommy did because it wasn't easy.  If you would have asked me on Saturday (and many people did) I would have said that I will never do that again.  But now with a few days behind me and the pain and stiffness gone, I think I just might do that again next year.  Anyone want to join me? 
 On Friday night we all got together at my sister Kathy's house to celebrate my little sister's 29th birthday.  It was just what the trainer said to eat the night before a race, PIE.  Okay, maybe not, but a little piece of cherry pie didn't hurt any of us. 
 We got to enjoy some cousin time all weekend as we all stayed at my sister's house. 
 {Mr. Lincoln}
 {Nate and Mason}
 After the race on Saturday we all relaxed in the afternoon.  Kurt and mason were caught chillin in front of the t.v.  I tried to take a nap but that didn't happen.  I was in bed early though.  
{sisters}
We celebrated our big accomplishment on Saturday night with dinner out.  Kathy surprised us with a babysitter for the 5 little ones and we all went out to a very nice dinner.  Rosie was lucky enough to tag along.  Nate and I spent the teaching her proper dining etiquette.  She was spoiled rotten.  Drinking Shirley Temples, eating gourmet mac and cheese, and even enjoyed dessert.  It was such a great night and we didn't have to worry about the little kids at home.  I didn't get to relax much since we have been home since we've been getting the camper ready for our first camping trip today.  So I better get back to work, nature calls.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. What an accomplishment Lynn! you must feel so proud of yourself!! I've enjoyed following your running journey - you motivated me to get running myself.... I won't tell you how far I can make it... It seems like it will be YEARS before I could do a 1/2 marathon but I just keep telling myself everyone has to start somewhere right??!!
    Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for you Lynn...I definitely don't think i have the will power to run a 1/2 marathon, 7 miles was PLENTY for me :) But congrats - I'm so proud of you and know your kids are too. You are such a fun/good mommy to those four little kids. Can't wait to hear about your camping adventures...you'll have to go to Scott County park sometime, we'll stop over and Bryan can make you come campfire popcorn :)

    ReplyDelete